4 Things I Didn't Miss in America

アメリカに戻って感じた変なこと

It's mind-blowing how traveling opens up a whole world of different perspectives. Without Japan, I would've never appreciated American English pronunciation or the huge pizza sizes we have in the US. Pizza is way too freaking small in Japan for those prices.

I've been noticing some way weird things back at home here too though. Things that were always under my nose but never gave a second thought to.

 

 Apples. 

In Japan, being able to eat 99% of every apple was surprisingly convenient. On top of them being huge, almost none of it goes to waste! Maybe it was sheer luck of the draw in Japan.. but it totally sucks cutting out all the dreadful little pits of crap in these suckers here in the US.




 Not sharing food.

At first, sharing food was so uncomfortable in Japan. During the majority of meals, it's somewhat of a free for all with just taking what you want. Honestly, not having a personal set plate was kind of stressful! 

"Is it okay to grab something with my chopsticks, even after putting them in my mouth?"
"How much did I really eat?"
"Can I take the last piece of salmon or is that rude?"
"I can't even ask because someone might say I can have it, even though they really want it and I should know this??" 

But after getting accustomed to it, I realized it's actually a ton of fun. For one, it's way better being able to try a lot of different foods instead of just one plate! And having that feel of group activity/experience makes it better too. It's like a party, for every meal!

So, not sharing in America sucks. The portions are so big and everyone is used to getting doggy bags. I'd rather eat less, while trying more

And bond more with my girls (besides just the fries!)

A party with tiny dishes for everyone and their mother, too!.
 .

 Static electricity.

This definitely depends on the situation, but I'm from a somewhat colder area of the US and stayed near Tokyo when I lived in Japan. That part of Japan gets cold, but not as freezing cold or DRY as my hometown. Both times coming home from Japan, I've really felt like a huge metal rod in a lightning storm!! It was so much fun as kids to run our feet on the carpet and shock each other, but after experiencing little to no static electricity in Japan, coming back to it is so hilariously frustrating. Every time I get out of my car. Every single time.


Snows almost every weekend here, but a grand total of once where I was in Japan.


 Cold toilet seats.

I really used to think sitting on those toilet seat covers was nasty and unhygienic, but I'd so buy a few for every one I come in contact with here. Taiki got a thin but felt-like cover for ours in Japan and at first I really, really disliked it. But then came winter and waking up at 5:30 and getting ready for work was that much less painful. 

Sure, not every toilet in Japan is heated or covered, but I seriously felt like an upset, spoiled princess after experiencing that first cold seat after leaving Japan.



0 comments :

コメントを投稿

 

About Us!



Hey there! We're Taiki and Andrea - a Japanese/American couple who love traveling and learning about other people and cultures. We've been to India, Thailand, Korea, France, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Greece and Italy (as well as the US and Japan of course!)

We started a blog to preserve our memories while encouraging and motivating others to travel or learn English!

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates